Register New Posts
 
 
 


Note: This topic is locked. No new replies will be accepted.


Reply
 
Author Comment
 
ActRaiser
Reply with quote  #1 
Okay, so there weren't any actual threads about this subject, so I figured I should start one.  We should also do one for Sony and MS but first things first.  Rant all you want about Nintendo in this thread.

1. Seriously, why do I have to *know* everyone I play with online before I play with them?  How the heck is that supposed to work?

2.  Okay, the Wii was going to be the great white hope for an actual to goodness light saber or sword dueling game.  3 years later, we get fencing....really, WTF?  All I want on my Wii is the option to use a sword like a sword and adventure through some land laying waste to anyone that comes near me.  Zelda Wii and it's waggle fest doesn't cut it and most certainly, Wii Sports does not either.

3.  Shovelware fest....and yes, the numbers on metacritic back this up.  When you can find awesome Wii games for less than the cost of shovelware, due to no one actually being able to tell them apart, you've got problems.

4.  Why do I have to pay for the same game twice just for added waggle support?  Buehler, Buehler, Anyone, Anyone?  On the other consoles it would be DLC.  Ha, what a novel idea.

Yes, this was meant to be tongue in cheek, but actually turned into a lot of fun venting  Good times. 

Okay, who else wants to vent about Nintendo.  Let 'er rip.

BanjoPickles
Reply with quote  #2 
As a life-long fan of the Big-N, I'll bite:

1). Their fans! Okay, not all of their fans but the ones who whine about never having anything to play and when you ask them what games they have, it's nothing but first-party titles! When you quiz them as to why they never bother looking at third-party titles, they go on the defensive and say that the games don't interest them(though you and I both know that, for the most part, they didn't even know the games existed!)

2). Oftentimes Nintendo seems to have this unwillingness to listen to what the fans who supported them for years really want. I understand that they strive to be "innovative," but wasn't Sega innovative as well? Sega had the ability to be both innovative(though they made their fair share of mistakes, obviously) and still appease their fanbase. That's why, even eight years after their demise in the hardware race, they are still remembered fondly. Nintendo rarely makes any announcement without some level of frustration involved. As Actraiser pointed out, I don't see the purpose of friend codes. It doesn't shatter my world or anything, but it does add a tinge of unnecessary annoyance that the other two don't dish out.

3). Handing some of their best franchises to developers who fail to offer that Nintendo level of perfection. Starfox sucked when given to Rare so what does Nintendo do? They give it to friggin' Namco and they screw it up in a different way! F-Zero was PHENOMENAL on the 64, so what do they do? They give the franchise to Sega and suddenly it becomes a game with a distinct Sega feel! I want a Nintendo-developed Starfox and F-Zero!

Great idea, Act! Lol!
N64Dude
Reply with quote  #3 
I've got answers (sort) and rants of my own.

R: Why hasn't there been an F-Zero Wii, Pikmin 3, True sequel to Kirby 64, Star Fox Wii or Battalion Wars 3 {Is uppose that's technically 3rd Party but still?}? Nintendo gave Donkey Kong to Rare and Rare made fantastic games quite comparable to Nintendo quality real once Nintendo took back DK,games stopped appearing on home consoles (with apologies to Jungle Beat)

 A: Speaking of which you can find Battalion Wars 2 for a price that gives shovelware a run for its money

 R: Weren't we promised more DS connectivity? And yet Pokemon Battle Revolution is the only game with true connectivity.GameCube had lots of GBA support why no DS support? Really I'd love to play Super Mario 64 DS on the big screen and Mario Kart DS can be a huge drag on those tiny screens on DS

A: I wouldn't say Nintendo doesn't listen,it's more like they delay.People were aching for all sorts of things shown at e3 2009 since Wii's launch.SEGA acts to quickly

A: Fans are fans you can't live with 'em and quite strangely you can't live without 'em either

R: Why isn't there a game with Waluigi as the main character? Wario has 2 series' to himself,Peach has Super Princess Peach, Luigi has Luigi's Mansion,Yoshi has Yoshi's Island, why nothing for Waluigi?

I suppose the answers weren't quite the point but hey I like to give my opinions and take.

Paul Campbell
Reply with quote  #4 
No Steer, you may not use this thread as your lone example in your useless thread.
steer
Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActRaiser
Okay, so there weren't any actual threads about this subject, so I figured I should start one.  We should also do one for Sony and MS but first things first.  Rant all you want about Nintendo in this thread.

1. Seriously, why do I have to *know* everyone I play with online before I play with them?  How the heck is that supposed to work?

2.  Okay, the Wii was going to be the great white hope for an actual to goodness light saber or sword dueling game.  3 years later, we get fencing....really, WTF?  All I want on my Wii is the option to use a sword like a sword and adventure through some land laying waste to anyone that comes near me.  Zelda Wii and it's waggle fest doesn't cut it and most certainly, Wii Sports does not either.

3.  Shovelware fest....and yes, the numbers on metacritic back this up.  When you can find awesome Wii games for less than the cost of shovelware, due to no one actually being able to tell them apart, you've got problems.

4.  Why do I have to pay for the same game twice just for added waggle support?  Buehler, Buehler, Anyone, Anyone?  On the other consoles it would be DLC.  Ha, what a novel idea.

Yes, this was meant to be tongue in cheek, but actually turned into a lot of fun venting  Good times. 

Okay, who else wants to vent about Nintendo.  Let 'er rip.

Answers to your questions :

1. - Ugh you do not - its called random match making....?

2. Nintendo provided awesome motion plus sword fighting on Wii on Sports Resort. Apparently other devs are not up to the challenge? Lol at lightsaber fanboyism...

3. - You buy shovelware? Good for you. Everyone should have a job, I am glad you support that, it is probably your level of play if you buy it.

4. - Why do you buy PS2 ports? Again, it is your buying habits. Personal responsibilty.

Is this the best you can do? 
ActRaiser
Reply with quote  #6 

Dude, they were rhetorical questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steer

1. - Ugh you do not - its called random match making....?


Friend codes suck, let's leave it at that, shall we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steer

2. Nintendo provided awesome motion plus sword fighting on Wii on Sports Resort. Apparently other devs are not up to the challenge? Lol at lightsaber fanboyism...


Nope, it's not a full game.  That's all I'm looking for.  And, yep, I'm definitely lightsaber fanboy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steer

3. - You buy shovelware? Good for you. Everyone should have a job, I am glad you support that, it is probably your level of play if you buy it.


My point was I found a great game like Deadly Creatures at Best Buy for $10 sitting right next to a pile shovelware games; however, you'd never know it.  If you're a mom and looking for a game for your kid you'd pick a crap game 2 out of 3 times, hence, why Nintendo Sucks Monkey Balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steer

4. - Why do you buy PS2 ports? Again, it is your buying habits. Personal responsibilty.

I was talking about Mario Tennis, Pikmin, etc.  But you do bring up another excellent point on PS2 ports with Wii controls.  Kudus to you sir!  Way to vent the Monkey Ball* way!

* which wasn't that bad of a game actually.

steer
Reply with quote  #7 
That is quite a laundry list Act Raiser -

I am glad you are so concerned about mothers buying games for their kids - it is amazing week after week those shovelware games top the charts?

No they do not - Nintendo games do, some 3+ years old. Mothers are not fools - Nintendo has the word of mouth, this is why Wii Fit trounces all of its competition - it has the word of mouth. Mother buy what their kids ask for.

So that argument is pure nothing.

So other than that you complain about friend codes  and your own personal buying habits.

I think this topic sucks monkey balls. 
N64Dude
Reply with quote  #8 
You would steer! You just can't admit something is wrong with Nintendo's policies otherwise you'd  add some of your own. I don't care if you have mentioned hating Mario Party or Battalion Wars 2  for every post you get on the defense when someone points that out. You post 20 posts attacking the competition

It's painfully clear non-gamers will buy High School Musical games over games like No More Heroes simply because they are cheaper and more recognizable

steer
Reply with quote  #9 
N64 dude - it is your own arrogance that sees 'problems' where only market realities exist. And you are not only - we see it from Act Raiser in this topic and Luke with his list of 'awesome games' in the Times are tough all over topic.

It is great you have your game prefernces - but guess what - so does eveyone else.

Get a grip - most people do not care about No More Heros and AR's Deadly Creatures.

Who is to say 'they under performed' or that mothers were 'fooled' into not buying them?

 You are not the game CZAR of anything.

I am just not that stupid to complain about things that do not concern me and are not problems in any case. Nothing prohibits you from buying those games to enjoy - so why do you need others to do so as well?

These are middle school playground strawman arguments.
BanjoPickles
Reply with quote  #10 
I wouldn't say that it's a middle-school playground argument. Steer, them being concerned about games not selling is just as relevent, perhaps more so, than your constant posting of NPD statistics.

The reason I see their grievances as perfectly valid is because without sales of those great games, then developers are less inclined to really strive to make a good game. Why take the extra year to develop something extraordinary when we can take a mere two months to develop something along the lines of Deca Sports 3 or Game Party 3? They feel frustrated because they do spend the money to go out and buy the next No More Heroes or Deadly Creatures to support these developers and let them know that the game they put such an effort into didn't go completely unnoticed. It may be dollar signs and economics to you, Steer, but to others it isn't so calculated. As somebody who could only afford one system last generation, how do you think I felt when third-party development entirely dried up last generation because people weren't buying anything not made by Nintendo? I loved the games I bought and if it wasn't for the cause-and-effect of game sales, I would have been perfectly happy with just that. However, I didn't get an Eternal Darkness 2, or an Alien Hominid 2, etc. because those games didn't sell, except to people like me. You're arguing on behalf of the business side of things, but alot of us aren't interested in any of that. We do our part, but oftentimes our part just isn't good enough.

You get frustrated because perhaps you feel like this site is against everything you say/post. Frustration works both ways, though, my friend.
N64Dude
Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you Banjo Pickles that's what I was trying to say but I had to interrupt my post for my sister

Banjo I'm inclined to believe the games are more important.

 What I described of you last post  is arrogance.What you're thinking of is fairness. ActRaiser and Luke know that Nintendo is not without some fault and they have some things against it.There's nothing wrong with that.If what you said about hating Mario Party is true you could've just posted  something like "Why won't Nintendo discontinue the Mario Party series?" but instead you're blasting everyone here.

I never claimed to be a czar. Not once, where the heck did you get that idea?

Quote:
I am just not that stupid to complain about things that do not concern me and are not problems in any case


Apparently you are,the Wii's sales should not concern you if you are enjoying Wii. If you truly are one little shrink in Japan won't matter. You can always take your own advice and buy another Wii anyway.









steer
Reply with quote  #12 
It is a common argum,ent Banjo, but it is wrong on every level.

So then why is No More Heros getting a sequel?

Go down the line.

If you are correct - then explain to me why shovelware  NEVER sells well?

Where are the shovelware titles among the top selling Wii games?

What are the lifetime sales for Kawaski Jet SKi - have they topped No MOre Heors sales? I doubt it - but you prove it to me.

Why is shovelware $10 outside of the case? Because it has little value. Every consumer knows that.

Why is Mario Kart Wii $50 and inside the case? Because it has much value and is in much demand.

Shovelware do not have much investment put into them because they only generate so much return. That is why they are shovelware.

If your game No More Heors or whatever cannot beat shovelware and cannot find a large enough market to survive then it does  not deserve to exist, pure and simple. On any console.

What then do you make of the niche games on other systmes that do not become blockbusters?

Your arguments have no consistency.
ActRaiser
Reply with quote  #13 
I'm getting a kick out of these replies.  Venting can certainly be fun.  The funniest was seeing a moderator change the topic name.  My money is on the moderator not knowing there's a gamecube/xbox/Wii game called Monkey Balls.  Sure, it was still in bad taste but funny.

Anyway, steer, lighten up dude.  I don't really think Nintendo sucks.  I do think some of their policies, plans, and games are absolutely horrendous.

Ooh, one more

Why do Nintendo fanboys get their panties in a wad every time someone says the slightest thing they may not agree with?  It's like someone pissed in their Post Toasties.

Answer: That's why Nintendo Sucks Monkey Balls!

Okay, I promise, I'll stop saying that...

BanjoPickles
Reply with quote  #14 
Steer, nowhere in my argument did I once mention shovelware. I learned my lesson from the last time I stepped foot in that trap.

I also never once mentioned No More Heroes. The reason why it's getting a sequel is because, at the end of the day, it actually sold pretty well. Did it move Call of Duty-like numbers? No, but it sold pretty well regardless. I think, all in all, it sold in the vacinity of 400k.

I was more referring to the great games that DON'T sell at all. My argument is not an intellectual argument, but rather that I can understand why people would be a bit bummed that certain games don't sell. As I said, I would kill for an Eternal Darkness sequel but it'll probably never happen. Also, just recently, Miyamoto said they'd love to do another Star Fox....but they don't sell anymore! When a game bombs it does, in fact, impact the gamer. I think that's the basic argument.
BanjoPickles
Reply with quote  #15 
I had more to say, but I just HAD to go with my wife to pick our boy up from basketball.;-)

Going back to what I was saying, it really has nothing to do with shovelware, though I can see the point of whoever brought up Deadly Creatures. I have a friend who I recommended Zack and Wiki to. He looked at me with this odd look and asked "are you serious?" I told him that I was and how great of a game it was and he started listing off all of these bottom-of-the-barrel games as a source of comparison. He lumped Zack and Wiki, another game that will likely never see a sequel due to poor sales, in with all of the garbage tht clutters the shelves. I'm not exactly blaming "shovelware" for it, but to somebody that doesn't do their homework on games they'll see a wall of crap and pass over many great games in the process.

I don't need statistics to back up my argument. I see it, I've lived it, and I'll continue to do so. I can list off a TON of games that I've loved throughout the years that never received a follow-up because not enough people paid attention to it. So go ahead and call me stupid, or ignorant, or tell me that I don't have my facts straight but that's just how it is.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


Powered by Website Toolbox - Create a Website Forum Hosting, Guestbook Hosting, or Website Chat Room for your website.